AIDS in Belize

THANKS 4 D INFO BELIZEAN

The mode of transmission is difficult to ascertain but in the Belizean
context sexual activity constitutes the mode of transmission for the
great majority of HIV Infections.

:heart :heart :heart :makeout :makeout Bemetu, we betta stay America.:beerchug

Ch 5:

Drug company provides free AIDS medications
There may be no cure for AIDS, but there are medications which can improve and extend the lives of those affected. For a long time those pharmaceuticals were too expensive for most Belizeans, but now, one of the key treatments used internationally has became available here at home, and, best of all, at no cost. Jacqueline Woods has more.

Vildo Marin, Minister of Health
”This initiative will provide anti-fungal medication, Diflucan, at no costs to persons living with HIV/AIDS. This donation has no dollar limit, and more important, it will not have any time limit.”

Jacqueline Woods, Reporting
Today, Belize became the second country in the Caribbean, third in Central America and the thirty-fifth Nation in the world to offer to persons living with HIV and AIDS medication at no cost to them through a partnership programme with Pfizer Incorporated. Diflucan is not a cure for the deadly disease, but rather the medication has been recognized by the World Health Organization as the only recommended outpatient treatment for two opportunistic fungal infections associated with AIDS. The infections require a six month treatment that can cost patients up to nine thousand dollars, making it financially impossible for persons to receive the care.

Sylvia Varela, G.M., Pfizer Central America
”cryptococcal Meningitis affects ten percent of all people living with AIDS and is usually fatal over a short period of days if not treated on time. Oesophageal candidiasis is present in all forty percent of HIV/AIDS patients and produces a general state of discomfort.”

Belize health authorities will supervise the Diflucan Partnership Programme to ensure its success. The medication will be supplied via internet requests following a simple formula supervised for this purpose.

Sylvia Varela
”Already, two thousand tablets have been donated to Belize under the new Central American programme. In this country, the government will assist all citizens diagnosed with cryptococcal meningitis and oesophageal candidiasis in the hospitals and the...hospitals in Belize.”

Jacqueline Woods for News Five.

The Ministry of Health urges the public not to be complacent about H.I.V. infection in Belize, even if the rate of new infection appears to be levelling off. Authorities maintain that Belize needs a forceful multi-sector approach to changing people's attitudes and risky behaviour.

National AIDS Commission represented at launch of AIDS-Friendly-Town
Initiative in Dangriga

29 August, 2005 - Belmopan
On Friday August 26th the National AIDS Commission was represented at
the Launch of the AIDS Friendly Town Initiative by the Dangriga HIV/AIDS
Society.

Attending the press conference and forum at the Dangriga Town Hall on
the Commission's behalf was Chairperson, Ambassador Dolores
Balderamos-García who congratulated the Society on this tremendous step
forward.

With sponsorship from UNICEF the Dangriga HIV/AIDS Society has initiated
this endeavor to reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with
HIV/AIDS and persons living with the virus.

The Dangriga HIV/AIDS Society has been showing great leadership at the
forefront of fighting the epidemic and in many ways has been seen as
displaying best practice in their activities and interventions.

This latest initiative is the first of its kind worldwide, and it aims
to bring about the reduction of stigma and discrimination by sharing
more knowledge of HIV/AIDS in creative ways, promoting healthy
lifestyles and strongly campaigning that the rights of all persons
should be respected.

In declaring the AIDS Friendly Town Initiative open, Chairperson of the
Dangriga HIV/AIDS Society Dr. Ninfa Ken stated that although positive
change is often not immediate and drastic, there has been steady
improvement in the attitudes and perceptions of townspeople in Dangriga
towards reducing stigma and discrimination.

Also introduced was the"We are Here" Youth Group of the Society, as well
as the findings of the Knowledge, Attitudes and Perceptions Survey
conducted by Consultant Philip Castillo.

Also in attendance for the launch of this important initiative were
Mayor Cassian Nuñez, Deputy Mayor Anthony Ramos, Dr. Dalila Vanzie and
Mrs. Juanita Joseph of the Society and various other community
members.

Ch 5:

AIDS organisation burglarised...again
On Wednesday night, the Alliance Against AIDS was once again burglarised. Sometime during the night, a thief or thieves cut through the locks of an attic window. Once inside, the perpetrators stole three computers and other electronic equipment valued at eighteen thousand dollars and left by breaking the locks on the back door. This morning, a frustrated Rodel Beltran Perera, Director of A.A.A., told News Five how this latest incident will affect the work of the organization.

Rodel Beltran Perera, Dir., Alliance Against AIDS
"I don't know what we need to do. We are enforcing our facilities, we are putting up more burglar bars, we hope install in a burglar system, but I don't know, I don't know if those things would work."

Janelle Chanona
"You said yourself, you've lost count, are you in a bad building, you are easy target, what makes you such a frequent visitor?"

Rodel Beltran Perera
"I think we are in all those things Janelle. I think people do think of us, see us, I mean we don't keep money here anymore because of the previous break-ins."

"So we only keep our equipment here and now we've lost all our equipment. Two, we are in a very challenging neighbourhood. I think in the neighbourhood there are hot spots and the authorities know this."

"Those equipment that they did make off with contains very vital information for us. All our accounting systems, other files that are very important to us, not only to us as an agency but to people that access our services. So that information is extremely important and vital to us and I would really want to ask anybody out there—I know there are people that do provide these computers, these computers would end up at their workshop, if there is any computer service organisations or computer agents, please take a look at three possible black or dark grey DELL computers that could indicate that it belongs to us, to the Alliance. We would really like them back because all our work is in there."

If you have any information that may assist in the recovery of the items belonging to the Alliance Against AIDS, please contact the organisation or the nearest police station.

Sad to know deh folks the bruk ina these people offices and deh peeple the try help out folks with HIV and AIDS. Y deh nuh guh bruk ina Prime Minista house?

My last test gial was last year right before I get out the ARMY. MI annual check up di come up soon. I wah get it done den.

Dah tru dat Bez even if you know seh dat two a unu nuh the mess round y still mek yuh nervous when wah get yuh results.:scared

The worse feeling in the world is waiting for a AIDS test results. I bought life insurance long time ago, and they made me and my ex take AIDS test. Rass it took 2 weeks for the results. Atleast now you get it done in hours. They sent there own nurse to draw the blood at my home. But they paid for the tests.

Ch 7:

HIV Education For the Inner City

The messages are the same but this week culturally relevant brochures, pamphlets, and even bumper stickers on HIV and Aids were introduced to Belize's inner city. The initiative comes under Youth for the Future's HIV and Aids Education Programme; Coordinator Douglas Hyde explains how the new literature will change the tone and style of HIV and Aids education and awareness messages from Pinks Alley to the Pink Jungle.

Douglas Hyde, Coordinator
"They want to see more of themselves and other young persons like themselves, make it more readable so they can understand it more on their level. Along with that it gives them more of an identification because these are things they can identify with when they see pictures with other youths from their areas on the pictures. We tried to turn some of the information more to a basic level which they can understand and we also get peer educators so they can understand the information they receive to."

Evalee Cadle, Peer Educator
"It will just add more in the sense that people hear it from our mouth but if they see in their face every minute, every so often, they might take it in because the HIV education is needed because its swarming the young people in Belize so its needed."

$3,000 in pamphlets, brochures, and bumper stickers were printed. The funding came from the Ministry of Health, United Nations Population Fund, and the OPEC Fund.

Fluff50 said:
It's individual responsibility. Change your behaviour.
For those numbers to start decreasing in our country, we need for people to go and get their HIV status known.

Do you believe there is a cure...but that it is unavailable to certain ethnic backgrounds?

The HIV/AIDS pandemic (worldwide epidemic) appears from recent data to be as large as ever. Millions worldwide are infected each year. Millions are also dying each year. A 2004 report by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS estimates that in 2003 alone around 4.8 million people (range: 4.2–6.3 million) became infected with HIV. It is estimated that as of the end of 2003 around 37.8 million people (range: 34.6–42.3 million) were living with HIV. In 2003 this viral infection killed 2.9 million (range: 2.6–3.3 million) people. Over 20 million people worldwide have died since the first cases of AIDS were identified in 1981. In other words this epidemic has killed about as many people as currently live in the entire country of Australia (20,090,437 people).

HIV is a chronic and deadly infection that can take years to cause more and more damage to the person's immune system. Eventually, the person's immune

system cannot keep up with the amount of damage and they become AIDS patients. Many don't know they are infected until some unusual infection signals health care workers to look for HIV infection. Others find out they are infected following testing for the virus during routine screenings (prenatal visits, giving blood). Unfortunately, during this symptom-free time (asymptomatic period) the persons infected with HIV give the virus to other people.

There are several ways the virus can be transmitted: male homosexual interactions, heterosexual interactions, sharing of contaminated intravenous needles among intravenous drug abusers. Fetuses in the womb can get HIV from their HIV-infected mothers. Infants can get HIV from HIV-infected breast milk. The most common means of acquiring this virus varies from country to country, province to province and state to state. In the United States the most common means of transmission is by male homosexual interactions. In Sub-Saharan Africa the most common means of transmission is by heterosexual contact. Intravenous drug is the most common means of transmission in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Worldwide the most common means of acquiring HIV is by heterosexual contact.

When a person is infected with the HIV virus it infects cells that are vital to good immune functioning. It attacks and methodically over 10-15 years kills most of the cells important in helping the immune system respond to infection. These cells are called T-helper cells (T-lymphocytes or CD-4 cells). T-helper cells help other cells (B-lymphocytes; B-cells) in our body make antibiotics they help still other cells (CD-8 cells; T-cytotoxic cells; different type of T-lymphocyte) to eliminate virus infected cells and tumor cells.

Most of the T-helper cells that are infected with HIV will be forced by the virus to produce more virus. Following HIV virus replication the T-helper cells die. In time many of these cells are infected and daily many cells die. Fortunately, our bodies have an enormous capacity to produce more T-helper cells and keep up with the daily onslaught of T-helper cell death. In time, the body weakens for any number of reasons and the ability to keep up the necessary T-helper cell production wanes and an HIV infected person becomes an AIDS patient. AIDS patient's immune functioning is so poor that microbes that normally are no problem for a person now become life-threatening infections. Cancers are more common and the HIV virus itself can cause damage to other cells in the body resulting in damage to the patient's brain.

Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy (HAART; HIV is in the retrovirus family of viruses) is able to slow and for a time in some cases stop the persistent and systemic multiplication of HIV in the T-helper cells. Many felt initially that long term HAART therapy would cure people of HIV infection. Unfortunately, whenever someone on HAART therapy stops taking the medications the HIV virus starts up again and in time takes the life of the patient.

Researchers learned several years ago (1997) that not all T-helper cells become activated and produce HIV virus following infection. Some become resting T-helper cells. These cells contain the HIV virus genome in their DNA and it is believed that these HIV infected resting T-helper cells are the source for renewed multiplication of the HIV virus following termination of HAART therapy. HAART therapy only works on cells that are actively producing HIV virus so therapy is not helpful in eliminating this pool of HIV-infected resting T-helper cells. In time this pool of infected resting T-helpers cells does decline however it is at such a slow rate that many AIDS patients will die before they deplete all the infected resting T-helper cells in their bodies.

Activating these resting cells is one way some researchers believed might help in curing an HIV/AIDS patient. Unfortunately, doing that releases so many new viruses that even with intensive HAART therapy the patients get worse and the treatment become worse than the disease. Recently some scientists at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas have reported (Depletion of latent HIV-1 infection in vivo: a proof-of-concept study. Lancet. 2005 Aug 13-19;366(9485):549-55) that a more subtle way of treating HIV patients might result in a cure.

They have found that a drug (valproic acid also called valproate) used in treating epilepsy might be useful in eliminating these HIV infected resting T-helper cells. They found that valproate inhibits an enzyme (histone deacetylase 1; HDAC 1) in the resting T-helper cells that keeps the HIV virus from multiplying. They discovered valproate allows viruses that have incorporated in the human DNA to take itself out of the DNA and commence virus replication. Therefore, the HIV-infected resting T-cells start making virus and are eliminated from the resting T-helper cell pool of immune cells. This medication does this without activating all the T-helper cells and causing too much virus replication.

By intensifying their HAART therapy and adding in a new medication called enfuvirtide they were able in 3 months of valproate treatment to lower the number of HIV-infected resting T-cells by greater than 70% in 3 out of the 4 patients tested. This is exciting news however, remember not all the HIV-infected resting T-cells were eliminated and much more work still needs to be done. But there is now more hope that other less toxic inhibitors of the HDAC 1 might be found. Still other ways of inducing virus replication in these resting cells could also be tried and maybe someday this horrific pandemic could be eliminated.

For more information go to the following webpages:

THEIR IS NO CURE FOR AIDS AT THIS TIME, JUST TREATMENTS, ANTIVIRAL DRUGS. IT VERY IMPORTANT TO DOUBLE UP, OR ABSTINENCE.

:angel

bad girl said:

THEIR IS NO CURE FOR AIDS AT THIS TIME, JUST TREATMENTS, ANTIVIRAL DRUGS.

Really? I didn't know this.:rolleyes:

bad girl said:

......IT VERY IMPORTANT TO DOUBLE UP, OR ABSTINENCE.

:angel

Don't you know that when "doubling up" the likelihood of the condom breaking increases? Then again, you're just a CNA so it figures.

Garifuna Bemetu

Left Belize 25years and still caa adjust to life in America. Still move like a Belizean. Took my children to Belize often and now they go every year and caa wait fi moove back permanently.

Naez.

Go home bemetu. Take care of your kids in Dangriga thats dying of aids and sucking cocks.

POOR THING'

madarass said:
Really? I didn't know this.:rolleyes:

Don't you know that when "doubling up" the likelihood of the condom breaking increases? Then again, you're just a CNA so it figures.

YOU SHOULD BE VERY WORRIED, ABOUT THIS TIME, BECAUSE YOU WENT BACK TO BELIZE, AND FU- AROUND WITH ALL THE AIDS INFESTED OOMAN.

Re: POOR THING'

bad girl said:
YOU SHOULD BE VERY WORRIED, ABOUT THIS TIME, BECAUSE YOU WENT BACK TO BELIZE, AND FU- AROUND WITH ALL THE AIDS INFESTED OOMAN.

I get tested regularly and use protection thank you very much. I appreciate your concern.

Ch 5:

Workshop seeks faith-based approach to fighting HIV stigma
With the widely available information on HIV/AIDS in our region, it's hard to imagine that some people still react with fear, even hatred against people diagnosed with the virus. But it happens... and more frequently than we imagine. What can be done? Well some believe that the way to change people's attitudes is by going through existing channels, in this case, their faith in God and their dedication to the church. Today Jacqueline Woods met a man who has not only gone public with his HIV status, he is going to the pulpits.

Jacqueline Woods, Reporting
Forty-year-old Ainsley Reid, a Jamaican national, knows all too well what it is like living with HIV. Since he went public with his medical condition, Reid was not only fired from his government job, but he has been shunned by society, and repeatedly stabbed. Reid is not alone. It is reported that over five hundred thousand people in the Caribbean are living with HIV and AIDS. Most of these persons are being stigmatised and discriminated against because of their health status. Reid believes they should not be treated any differently than persons who are living with other diseases.

Ainsley Reid, HIV Positive
"Discrimination because I have been asked to leave my job. Discrimination because I have been hurt you know in ways that regular people, people who are not HIV positive are not discriminated against. I think for me, I have had so many painful experiences. One, I can remember I was stabbed up in Kingston and that has really been for me, been a big mark in my experience with living with HIV/AIDS."

In Belize, the situation is no different. Many of the four thousand people diagnosed with HIV and AIDS are struggling to live a normal life as possible. Many experience withdrawal or take their own lives to escape from the misery. Only a few are propelled to stand up against all the hurt. Reid is one such person. Today he is at the forefront of building a faith based response to HIV and AIDS in the Caribbean. Reid, a member of the Caribbean Conference of Churches, is presently in Belize encouraging religious leaders, clergy, sisters, lay ministers and other community leaders to get involved in the fight to prevent the spread of HIV and AIDS and provide care and support for persons, especially those in their own congregation living with the disease

Ainsley Reid
"Faith based leaders are opinion shapers. When pastors, priests, fathers, reverends get in that pulpit, you know they are shaping opinion of regular people. The old lady with a little handbag who comes to church will sit down and listen; her opinion is shape by that sermon. The gentleman who is big and strong and sits on the choir, his opinion is shaped by that sermon. The children in Sunday School, in Sabbath school, in all those different faith organisations or organisations of faith, the opinions are shaped by what they are taught."

It is hoped that as a result of the workshop the churches and faith communities will formulate a plan of action that they will use to help raise the awareness and help those who are in need. Jacqueline Woods for News Five.

Back