Reporting from Sugar City...

M

mercury

After traveling by boat, plane, bus, train, and camel; I´ve made my way from La Isla Bonita to Sugar City. Sorry that I haven´t been participating on the message board as much as I (and quite a few of you) would like, but this weekend I´ve been in Orange Walk Town and managed to take some photos of Orange Walk´s Carnival and a few photos of downtown Orange Walk. I´m working on those now, and hopefully either tomorrow or Tuesday I get those featured on this site.

Words cannot describe the patriotic, civic, enthusiastic, and fun vibe one can feel pulse through their bodies while in Orange Walk during the September Celebrations. This year was no different. I swear, it feels like half the country was out for the Independence Eve Ceremonies. Thousands were here - people spread out all over Queen Elizabeth Park, Fort Cairns Square, Queen Victoria Avenue, Main Street, and Banquitas Square. They were not disappointed as the ceremonies ended with a fireworks display that lasted a solid 35 minutes.

On Independence Day, even more people appeared to have come out of their fowl coop (as one of my friends jokingly said). The Carnival, which was rather long, featured participation from Mexican Police & Military Band, Scouts, Cadets, Marching Bands, Tumblers, and Carnival Bands from Belize City and Orange Walk. As per usual, the Carnival ended after sunset. There was a block party in downtown areas both after the Independence Eve Ceremonies and the Carnival.

Hope you all had a great Independence Weekend. As I said before, pics are to follow soon. I had wanted to go to Belize City early Monday to take pics of their parade (since, for reasons I disagree with, Belize City´s holding their parade on the 22nd), but I´m so fracking tired, and Belize City´s Independence Day Parade is usually boring to not make me wanna make all that effort.

Anyhoo, I´m heading to bed. God bless y´all.

I almost opened up a "Where is mercury?" thread but I knew you were coming.........sooner or later.

Mercury, ah still de wait pon the pics mein.....AB, lawd mein! the holy Ghost mussi come to di site already hahahha

Back