Is cheering for non-Belizean athletes hurting our own?

Belizeans.com

All ah we da Belizeans!
Staff member
Is cheering for non-Belizean athletes hurting our own?

OPAL ENRIQUEZ
Biles, who has Belizean parentage, has accepted an offer of a visit for her and her teammates to the Jewel by the Belize Tourism Board, although details are to be worked out. Today’s Olympic watch party” was covered by a crew from American news channel CNN. But, is the local cheering for Biles, like for Marion Jones in 2000, detracting from advancing sport in Belize? According to Enriquez and Simplis-Barrow, Belizeans have their own sporting dreams which must be nurtured.

Opal Enriquez, Cousin of Simone Biles
“I would think it doesn’t detract, I think it enhances. I think that what it is, we are shining a positive light on Belize, and because of Simone and the athletes that we have at the Olympics, it gives the kids a chance to dream, and to dream big, knowing if Simone can do it and Katy Sealy can do it and all the other athletes that we have representing us at the Olympics, then they can do it, too. So there’s nothing wrong with taking the time to celebrate and work on your craft as much as you can, because anything is possible; if it wasn’t we wouldn’t be here right now.”

KIM SIMPLIS-BARROW
Kim Simplis-Barrow, Special Envoy for Women and Children
“I just think that we in Belize, we have so many talented, talented athletes, and we need to start really honouring them, and focusing our energy and efforts in getting them on those platforms. I think that it is possible; it’s just that we need to start focusing on and what we can be bring to the table, and I know that we can bring a lot to the table.”

Back