Tamalitos Recipe Request

O

OGTerror

Hello everyone, I just found this site as I browsed for Orange Walk pictures and accidentally came across this site. I live here in the US for 20yrs now, never been back to Belize; long story short, I ran away from home to escape my mother dictatorship of physical mental and verbal abuse. Ever since I left, I haven't had a Tamalito, and I yarn to have one, but I don't know what exactly to add to it and how to prepare it for cooking. BTW I use to help my mother make and sell them too but and I don't recall in what particular order the condiments were applied. I remember after griding the corn we adding salt, sugar, butter, meat, then finaly placing them in the pot with the folded part at the bottom and adding water.
Would there be someone kind enough to explain the process to me, I would deeply appreciate it, thank you.

Hello everyone, I just found this site as I browsed for Orange Walk pictures and accidentally came across this site. I live here in the US for 20yrs now, never been back to Belize; long story short, I ran away from home to escape my mother dictatorship of physical mental and verbal abuse. Ever since I left, I haven't had a Tamalito, and I yarn to have one, but I don't know what exactly to add to it and how to prepare it for cooking. BTW I use to help my mother make and sell them too but and I don't recall in what particular order the condiments were applied. I remember after griding the corn we adding salt, sugar, butter, meat, then finaly placing them in the pot with the folded part at the bottom and adding water.
Would there be someone kind enough to explain the process to me, I would deeply appreciate it, thank you.
yu know say yu cyaa come pon waata lane with a half a$$ tory..........so come siddung pon mi couch and giwe more details bout what i have highlighted up deh so:D.....by the way whe name Tamalito.....never heard of it!....but we have lotta chefs on yah so scotchie and rosy soon come with di recipe......

The painful years

Well you asked for it here it is: I was born in Orange Walk Town. I am the second of 3 children. I became fatherless when I was 3. My father was murdered by unknown subjects while he and his brother planted sugar cane. The official report states that my father was the first to be killed with a rifle shot in the back and my uncle was next shot in the chest as he turned to attend to my father. They were then decapitated. The murders were publicizing nationwide on September of 1974. Media provided graphic account to the point of tabloid speculation capitalizing on the gruesome details. Until this day the reason for the murders remains a mystery.
My mother was left to care for the 3 of us by herself. Alone, impoverished, grasping, and enraged, she planted in me a terror that grew to epic proportion. As if to expiate her own painful existence, she meted out punishment without relent or remorse for even the smallest of transgressions, whether real or imagined. While still a toddler I was selected as her prime target for practicing various forms of torture. With a morbid ardor she was delighted by the evidence her efforts produced. Bruises, welts, cuts, gashes, second even third degree burns, could be provided by a various media. Weapons of an untold variety were used, among them thick cords, sticks, machetes, knives, shoes, ropes, wire, pots, pans-all proved reliable. But all of these paled to her undisputed favorite, blazing firewood. Pressing a burning stick into my 7 year old flesh, she would speak assurance of love and redemption. I would plead "mama please don't' love me anymore!" Often, after beating me until she was exhausted, she voiced regret: "You ugly sonuvabytch, I should have aborted you! But I WILL KILL YOU- I will kill you - only slowly... and painfully..." After spent from exertion Mother would typically grind salt into my open wounds. On other occasions she would make a spread of rice, corn, gravel or coke stoppers. I was then ordered to kneel while holding a heavy stone with my arms held high for ten minutes. She would hit me if I lowered my arms and this would result in an increase of the sentence to 20 minutes. The ritual would more often end though, when she declared "Enough!" or until I passed out. I was not yet old enough and such concepts seemed foreign and distant to me. I began to contemplate death as the only way out.
I was about 8 when my mother, in a seeming act of charity, gave a Salvadorian refugee, a sugar cane cutter, a chance to stay at our hut, his wife having recently died from childbirth complications. "John Doe" AKA Jessie came with his 2, 3 days and 2 yr old girls. Within a few months Mother and Jessie were romantically involved. Jessie unwittingly made matters worse when he tried to prevent my mother from hitting me, He and Mother would get in fist fights when he tried to yank me away from her. Jessie's intervention enraged my mother even more. I begged Jessie not to defend me as his intent of protection would only produce more of Mother's attacks, particularly as soon as she could take the opportunity in his absence. One time mother appeared to have given up after Jessie slugged her. Turning away after what seemed to the final round, Mother took full advantage of his slackened attention. She poured gasoline on him, and tried frantically to light him on fire. But her attempt was unsuccessful, and Jessie found it within himself to stay with mother confirming our pathetic little tribe a 'family'.
Most memories of my mother's countless tirades are embedded deep down inside of me. But there are those incidents that flash through me without warning. When I was about the age of 7, my sister and I took a nickel that my mother had left on the table and we spent it all on candy at school. When we came home that evening we were questioned about the missing nickel which we admitted to taking. My mother then decided that I was the sole guilty party in the theft. She proceeded to punish me by taking a piece of burning fire wood and burned the palm of my hands to teach me a lesson to never steal again. For several weeks I had difficulty managing well in school due to the injury she inflicted and in turn I was beaten every time I performed poorly on a test. When she grilled me about my unsatisfactory efforts, I explained that I had difficulty writing due to my pain in my hands. She would then ask me to show her where in particular I was hurting and upon showing her my palms, she poked at my injures (on one of these occasions she even bothered to use a pencil) all the while feigning great concern. "Where-here? Or here?" Relentlessly-she kept this up until she tired of her amusement. On another day she tried to probe, to start her game gain, asking me if my hands were still hurting. I lied, but she couldn't resist beating my whole body anyway.
In my thirteenth year, Mother sent me to pick up some money from my aunt who lived about five miles away from us. On my way back a thunderstorm plagued me but I pressed on, fully aware of the consequences if I didn't return promptly with the money in hand. In spite of my timely return, my mother berated me for arriving soaking wet and for the money being wet as well. This beating sears me to this day. The sting of leather whipping my cold, wet little body had the inexplicable effect of being bathed with fire. And yet, just a few weeks later, I was sent on a similar mission to the same place. Again with the rain. But this time I vowed things would be different. I quickly sought refuge under a banana tree and successfully remained dry. The rain persisted and one hour became night- until the storm was finally over. I ran home as fast as I could, through the darkness never, stopping. I was safe and dry... but mother had been waiting. And she was angry. With no relief upon my producing the (dry) cash, and certainly not due to my safety, she was in fact furious. She was still smarting from the suspected pretext she concocted of my running away from home with the much anticipated $50. Armed with that thought and a piece of burning firewood, she pressed the flaming tip into the sole of my right foot and then the left. With great ceremony she finalized her pleasure with a severe beating. For each day of a month, I endured the long walk to school and back. My schoolmates creatively christened me 'Baboon' upon noticing my affected gait. I was known as Baboon for the rest of my school years.
My siblings were punished too but not as severely as I. My sister was granted slight mercy as she was the only girl, and my brother was the baby. But these credentials did not render them as exempt. My place in the lineup merely awarded me the full passion of her fury. When she nearly expended her energy on me she would always rally with just enough effort to slap my sister a few times and smack my brother for good measures. She would sometimes withhold food from me (or us). Once I was hungry I got up in the middle of the night when I was sure mother was sound asleep and crept outside in the darkness to the nearest orange tree to relieve my hunger. But Mother was not to be fooled. The next thing I knew an orange was being shoved down my throat with great force..... some time must have passed, because I awoke the next day in a hospital. Now there was a breathing tube where the orange had once been. When Mother took me home from the hospital she slapped me a couple of times reminding me that I should always be on my best behavior and that a swollen throat did not excuse anyone from a well-deserved beating. It happened that I would have to return to the hospital often now because I began to experience epileptic seizures that I sincerely believe are in some way connected to the trauma of these years.
My mother's violent ways triggered Jessie's decision to leave for the United States. Because of financial complications he could not at the time bring his two daughters. He had no choice but to leave them at the mercy of their aggressor. He made his way up north and arrived in Los Angeles, California. He constantly kept in touch with my mother through telegrams and sent here money to make sure his children were fed. After living in LA for 5 years, he obtained a green card, and returned to Belize to retrieve his daughters. It was then that he talked to me about starting a new life in America; I was 19 then. He told me I could make twenty times more money than what I was earning as a baker in Belize. Better yet I could continue my education and become something in life! I didn’t even give it a second thought and figured if I didn’t make it to the US I would then commit suicide but I vowed, never return to my aggressor. And so Jessie arranged all of the necessary paperwork for me to travel north. I now own my own construction company under the name of Do It Myself Construction. I came up with the name cause I do everything myself. I’m a carpenter, electrician, plumber, drywaller, floor installer, designer, artist, and much more.
About 2 years ago after 11 yrs of therapy I finally rid myself of the suicidal tendencies that tortured me day after day. I also learned to love myself and finally accepted that I was never at fault and did not deserve to be treated the way mother did. I now live a peaceful life and look at the sunny side of everything. While I’m healthy, I promise myself to live life at its fullest and make the best of it. Now you can understand that returning back to Belize would instill fear in me a fear that I never want to relive again. Understand that summarizing my life in 5 minutes took about 3 hrs because it is still painful to go back in time and relive my childhood.

oh my god!!.....your testimony brought tears to my eyes........how can a mother be so cruel?......i'm happy to hear that you sought therapy and rid youself of those suicidal thoughts tho .....one big hug fi you:makeout

Understand that summarizing my life in 5 minutes took about 3 hrs because it is still painful to go back in time and relive my childhood.
did'nt mean to take you back to those painful experiences OGTerror......i was just being nosy as usual:D

one more question fi yu tho!.....where were your relatives and neighbors?....did'nt they know that you was being abused?.....is your mother still alive?...well mek dat two questions:D

Neighbors, family member all knew even the police knew but no one did anything to stop her. It was as if it were a normal routine cause almost every family beat up there children, not as severe as I was beaten but close to. I remember 2 young police officers walked back and forth to work almost everyday and I was in the front yard holding the heavy piece of rock while my mother was hitting me they only gazed at me and did or said nothing. And this went for years.
Here take a look this just recent study.
http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/research/children/belize.html
http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/pdfs/briefings/CEDAW briefing Feb 2007.pdf

thanks fi di link......i'm a social worker with children services in LA...i'm seriously thinking about relocating to belize to advocate for the abused children who are being ignored in belize...

Hi OG, welcome to the board.
Proud of you for your achievements. You are a shining example of how people can overcome strife and succeed in life.

I spent lots of summers in OWalk. Used to say by Otro Benque with a wonderful family. They are the best.

I feel for you and the way your mom treated you. She needed help but people sometimes think it's okay for parents to beat their children. That's why they don't intervene. You said your step father tried to help but she turned on him too.

I used to see some cases like yours when I was a nurse in Belize. Terrible, terrible and haunting.

Thank God it is over for you. You are a survivor.

I almost forgot about the tamalitos. You have to put in some baking powder too. Other than that, it seems you know how to make it. If you end up using can or frozen corn, you have to add some milk or pet milk to wet it. If you use pet milk, don't put too much sugar in it. Unless you're making the sweet kind, and you can add raisins for the sweet ones if you like.

wow OG thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you had the strength to seek counseling and are doing well in spite of.
Welcome to the board!

Wow what a horrific story....You are so Blessed that you made it out and have made such a sucess of yourself.....Good for you!

Thank you all

Thanks to all for welcoming me to this forum and patting me on the back. My apologies for delivering such a graphic document, but I feel the need to write it until my past no longer affects me the way it still sometimes does. Even though I no longer hear that torturing voice that forced me to kill myself, it is still painful to relive my childhood and I can't help it but cry it out loud. A wound left untreated will infect, puss will develop, it will fester and the results would be deadly. For which reason I talk it out every opportunity I get, its my way of cleansing my soul.
I didn't believe in therapy in the beginning but I sure became a believer when my therapist answered the question I never had an answer for. I asked her "why is it that even though I live in a prestigious neighborhood, with a wonderful family, I'm looking forward to getting an AS Degree, I'm doing very well in school, I never smoked, I never drank, never taken drugs, every body who know me, loves me dearly, transportation is luxury, and I'm financially stable, but yet, I pray ever night that I die in my sleep of natural death. I want to die but for some reason I don't want to purposely act upon it?" She looked at me straight into my eyes and said "because you have hope" HOPE? I retorted! YES! Hope she repeated and proceeded: "you have hope that some day some one will come and save that little child inside of you" and continued, "that little child who never heard his mother say 'I love you, you are beautiful, you are intelligent, I'm happy to have brought you to this world, you are my sunshine, and the most beautiful thing that ever happened me.' But the only person who can do that,..... is yourself". And reaffirmed me "YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE THAT LITTLE CHILD INSIDE OF YOU". That was the moment that I finally saw the light at the other end of that long and dark tunnel. There after I began that slow and painful walk in the dark towards that light. I tripped many a time and some of those times I was about to give up, but some how I gain the strength to finally make my way out of that dark and ire tunnel. And well, as you all know I'm well and at peace, living "la vida loca". :usflag

I kew a hispanic lady in belize that burn her child hand because he took 5 cents , the child run to my house and hide under the bed I call the police they only talk to her of course that happen 20+ years and
your story brough to me tear to my eyes believe me I am so proud to meet a person like you Welcome and please continue in touch with us.

I'm sorry that I have to read that story in doses. I got to the first couple of paragraphs and as a mom had to stop. I so felt your pain. The horrors that a person can inflict on a child is just too much to witness. It baffles my mind and my only understanding has to be that, the person has to be of another mind. Crazy and without reality.

You're a strong man OGTerror and you've come a long way in your journey of life. Have you forgiven your mom? You may have mentioned it and I didn't read far enough.

Well I opened up a tame and friendly Welcome thread in the Cruffy section prior to seeing this thread.

......... Have you forgiven your mom? ............

Pain, resentment, guilt, anger, fear… and much more were not any of my choices, but the work of an evil person who inflicted it on/in me. I am not responsible for my mother's actions, there-for the only one who can forgive her is herself. Attempting to end my life was my choice and that I have forgiven myself for. As I told my therapist, I never want to ever meet the person who gave birth to me because she would try to ask for forgiveness. Her request would only inflict more pain in me and open more wounds that I am not willing to sustain. Her sole purpose in asking for forgiveness would only be to save herself.
But I do hope that some day she takes the time to think about the situation, validate the circumstances, and forgives herself for hurting me. All she has to do is truly feel deep down into her heart and say this out loud “I forgive myself for hurting my son Leonardo,”. And I, don't need to hear it.

I am familiar with it so it didn't shock me. I am however, so very much in admiration of you Og. I admire your courage, your perseverance and your strength, to seek help to understand how, to help yourself.

These atrosities that were inflicted upon you can be a living nightmare for years Everytime you think about it, it can set you back into another state of mind, Unless!

Unless you realize, that woman who was your mother, was a very sick person. You will fogive her because she knew no better. Chances are it was done to her. You don't ever have to look upon her again but forgive her in your heart so you can have peace and closure. It will also instill in you the knowledge that you have choices. She may not have made the right choice but you can. You have your own mind.

Realize, that you will love yourself first. Your time has come and it looks like you have made a very good start. Talk about your experiences as long as you feel like it, it lets the poisen out.

You should be very proud of yourself.

yu know say yu cyaa come pon waata lane with a half a$$ tory..........so come siddung pon mi couch and giwe more details bout what i have highlighted up deh so:D.....by the way whe name Tamalito.....never heard of it!....but we have lotta chefs on yah so scotchie and rosy soon come with di recipe......

Ducunu you no no Ducunu?
Been gone for 3 days now went to play in the sand dunes at glamis. And now I'm back to let you know I can make some ducunu. I'll make a video of it and post it on youtube. I'll title it, Belizean Ducuno, Tamalitos Belizenios. I'll post the link l8r for you all to watch.

Belizean Tamalito AKA Ducunu Recipe

Tamales+Elote+en+la+olla.jpg

5 lbs green corn (weight corn do not include cob)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoons salt
2 stick melted stick butter
1 can evaporated milk, (skip if mix is wet enough)

Start by peeling corn and saving about 3 to 4 husks of each corn; shave off corn from cob. Using your blender make a thick blend off of shaved corn then add condiments. Use corn husk and fill each with prepared corn and wrap. Place some corncobs on bottom of a big pot and pour some salted water over cobs place wrapped tamalitos/ducunu on corn cobs do not make them touch the water. Place pot on medium fire and boil for about one hour and there you should have some hot tamalitos/ducunu to enjoy.

Humitas%2BCusqueñas.jpg

Back