Black and red recardo and pipil

Mosquitorose

Cruffy Queen Admin
Red recardo

Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup annatto (achiote) seeds
• 10 large garlic cloves, roasted on a comal or griddle until charred, then peeled
• 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 4 whole cloves
• 4 whole allspice
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 tablespoon of salt
• 1 cup bitter (Seville) orange juice, or use half sweet orange juice and half vinegar

Preparation:
Grind all of the ingredients except the orange juice in a spice mill or food processor.
Add the orange juice, a little at a time, until a thick paste is formed.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Black recardo:

• 2 tablespoons achiote seeds
• 3/4 cup bitter orange juice (or a mixture of sweet orange juice and fresh lime juice)
• 2 lbs. dried ancho chiles, seeded and deveined
• 2 large whole cloves
• 4 large whole allspice
• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 head garlic, peeled (about 10 large cloves)
• salt to taste
Preparation:
Place the achiote seeds in a small bowl, pour the juice over them, and allow to soak 2-3 hours.
Toast the chiles just until they give off their fragrance, soak them in hot water until they soften, and drain them well.
Place all ingredients in a spice mill or food processor and process until they are well blended. They should form a thick paste, the consistency of a chilled cookie dough.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

• Baked Marinated Pork: Cochinita Pibil

This is the quintessential Yucatecan dish, from a region that is quite possibly the "capital" of leaf-wrapped foods. The color and flavor of the marinade are characterized by achiote, or annatto seed. This succulent baked pork is worth trying even without banana leaves, though the taste will not be exactly the same. Simply omit the leaves and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
Ingredients:
• 2 banana leaves, passed over a flame to soften
• 4 lbs. pork leg
• 200 grams (2 bricks, about 4 ounces each) achiote paste
• 1 cup bitter orange juice, or use half sweet orange juice and half vinegar
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon crumbled, dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 4 large allspice berries, coarsely ground
• 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 2 tablespoons melted lard or corn oil
Preparation:
Line the bottom of a large baking dish with banana leaves, one lengthwise and one widthwise, letting them hang over the sides of the dish so that they may be folded over the pork. Place the pork on the leaves.
Dissolve the achiote paste in the orange juice, add the remaining ingredients except the lard or oil, and mix well.
Pour the marinade over the pork, fold the banana leaves over all and place in the refrigerator to marinate, at least 8 hours and preferably overnight, turning once.
Fold back the banana leaves, drizzle the melted lard or corn oil over the pork, fold the leaves back over the pork and cover all tightly with aluminum foil. (Do not drain the marinade; this dish gets cooked in it, making it steamed rather than roasted.)
Place in a preheated 350º oven for 1½ hours, or until the meat is falling-apart tender. Remove the foil, fold back the banana leaves, and use two forks to pull the meat apart into shreds.
Serve with red onion rings marinated in orange juice vinaigrette and plenty of hot corn tortillas to make tacos.

i have yet to use my dry blade container.

I use the wet one for nut butters and etc which you dont apparently like.

I just dont use mine at all. When I need seeds ground i use a coffee mill

Back