RECIPE WISH.......

LISA

Royal Cruffy
Wish sombody would put all the recipes on internet from BELIZEAN RECIPE BOOK,I left belize at 4 yrs old ,so I dont know how to cook all the foods I want.

I bought that book via a friend in LA and tried a few of the recipes and I wasn't impressed with their recipes. The ingredients and process didn't match what I remembered for some of the basic dishes. So I never went further. It's still in my cabinet at the bottom of the cookbooks from Patti LaBelle, Rachel Ray and my folder of cut-out recipes. :)

I think it's because cooking authentic Belizean dishes is about a little bit of this and a little bit of that rather than exact measurements.

I noticed that to a point too. A lot of the recipes got Americanized or watered down. Same with simple rice and beans. The proportion of rice to beans is way off. I've seen it in the pictures of the food too. I like my rice and beans with a good amount of beans in there. The ones they serve in Belize now is the lazy way. They put in a lot less beans so that it is easier to cook the rice quicker. When we were small that was poor day rice and beans. We used to call it - beans looku rice.

And it seems they add cilantro to everything now. I love cilantro but there's some good creole food that just doesn't call for it.

Back