More Good STuff

Mosquitorose said:
Then ah cook mi jam pet. I got 13 pints or 6 quarts and one pint....cost was 17.00 for the strawberries and suga. I got about 40.00 worth of store jam if I bought the same amount at the store more or less....

I think I have just enough jars left for my orange marmalade and then ah done fe the year or so....

I now have the following in my pantry: Cumquat, Guava, Strawberry. I still need blueberry and orange....

Canadians are famous for doing this.

Aye eh cold no rass right now...ah mek wah nice soup yu yer, mekka a give unnu the low down....

In my chopper I chopped: potatoes, carrots, huge onion, green onion, cilandro, celery, ham (that I had frozen in slices). Flung all that in the pot with sufficient amount of water...added some butta ...bk peppa, salt, dried diced onion, dried diced garlic, dried veggies, soup seasons. The last four is stuff i get from my herb company and that stuff is fine. Anyway I cook all that slowely for an hour...it smell up the whole house. When you choppen everything, it just makes a tastier soup. Then we had bread butta and Strawberry jam with it....lawd have mercy!!!!

Mosquitorose said:
Fe what Z? jam? It started with the English ....bread and jam lol....I love my bread and jam...and tea..

No, I was talking about Jarring stuff.

Mosquitorose said:
Oh, it's called canning Z...even though it's in jars...they can it canning...go figure/

Thanks. I knew that didn't sound right but I just couldn't remember the word.

What I think is cool and I wanted to do it since I first saw the signs, is picking my own strawberries. Driving around one day I came upon the area where you pick your own strawberries and it's pretty cheap. They have a few strawberry pickings here but when I thought of all the insects that would be around, I went right to the farmer's market and picked up a tray. About 12 portions (green containers) on a tray for $9.00.

There is way too much mosquitoes around here for me.

Recipe for jamroll please, i like flaky pastry, thanks in advance.

I love strawberries. I heard strawberries and honey match together...

I had the privilege of being swamped by rain for the entire planting season and it did not stop until too late to plant and get a harvest, so there was no garden this year.

Fortunately I still have canned and frozen left from the previous year and all the cans seem to be good.

I have the habit of dehydrating and then freezing cherry tomatoes and I still have a one gallon zip lock full of them. They taste as good as fresh in soups and stews.

This year, no matter what the weather or how late the planting, I must get a batch of tomato plants into the ground. Even if they are in buckets on the porch I will have them this year. Everything else I plant is optional. I can buy canned and frozen just as cheap for storage and preps, but I really enjoy fresh stuff out of the garden in the summer, especially the peas, beans and okra.

Back