Pasta with Artichokes and Fresh Ricotta
* 4 cups water
* 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 4 medium artichokes
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
* 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
* 3 cups uncooked penne rigate pasta (about 12 ounces tube-shaped pasta)
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
* 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Combine 4 cups water and juice. Cut off stem of each artichoke to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon. Thinly slice each artichoke heart; place in lemon water. Drain.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute. Add artichokes and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 10 minutes or until artichokes are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, artichoke mixture, pasta, reserved cooking liquid, parsley, and pepper in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Add ricotta in spoonfuls, stirring gently to combine. Spoon 1 1/3 cups pasta mixture into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Fat: 14.1g (sat 5.2g,mono 6.8g,poly 0.9g)
Potato and Greens Torta
6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
* 1 1/2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes
* 3 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
* 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
* 2 cups packed arugula leaves
* 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
* 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* Cooking spray
* 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
* 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes; discard peels. Press cooked potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in romaine, spinach, and arugula; cook 1 minute or until greens wilt, tossing frequently. Remove greens from pan; finely chop.
4. Add greens, milk, fontina, eggs, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to potatoes; stir well to combine. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; dust with breadcrumbs. Add potato mixture to prepared dish. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with pecorino. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Fat: 9.1g (sat 3.8g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.9g)
Eggs and Greens
* 1 large leek (about 1/2 lb.), white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and rinsed well
* 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
* About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
* 1/3 cup pine nuts
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh regular or lemon thyme leaves
* 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (3 cups)
* 3 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, torn into small pieces
* 6 large eggs
* 6 ounces salad mix (2 1/2 qts. lightly packed)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut leek lengthwise into thin slivers. In a rimmed baking pan, toss leek with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt and pepper. Bake leek slivers, stirring often, until some are golden and beginning to crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, put pine nuts in a shallow pan and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 3 tbsp. olive oil, the lemon juice, garlic, thyme, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add mushrooms and salmon, then mix gently to coat.
3. Warm remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil in a 12-in. nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan, spacing them evenly. When whites are set, in 2 to 3 minutes, carefully flip eggs over (start with first egg put in pan). Cook until yolks are softly set, about 30 seconds.
4. Add salad mix to bowl with mushrooms and toss to coat. Divide salad mixture among 6 plates. Top each with a fried egg, some pine nuts, and some leek slivers. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Calories: 251 (70% from fat)
Fat: 20g (sat 3.6)