Dry spice mix help, Need recipe?

C

ChicaPost

Hello,
My husband is from Belize and I'm American. We have been married for ten years now. Over the years I have been cooking the things he loves and misses from home. There are two soups that I make for him. One is what he calls chimole but I believe from my own investigation is more of a chayote soup. The other is relleno negro. The recipes I have for those both have this powdery stuff that is put it in it. This stuff is called "Powdery Stuff". It definitely has cloves and cumin and a ton of other stuff that I can't even begin to decipher because it is ground up so well together. I have been trying to make my own by experimenting to get it right but so far have been pretty much wrong. I tried making the soups without it and it just doesn't taste the same. I wanted to know if anyone might know what this is called and maybe could share the whats and the hows to it.
Thank you

Chica gial, busy right now but will be back later.

Chica, you are better off going to the Spanish stores or getting someone from Belize to send you those spices. It is hard to replicate any of them. They come in plastic package at the spanish stores and are labeled Chirmole Recardo. While you're there pick up the Red Achote Recardo too if you don't already have some.

Those Black Chirmole Recardo are very difficult. Plus the spices are hard to come by. For example, the oregano--in Belize and Mexico they use a flattish leaf black oregano that I can't find anywhere in the states. And I tried growing that type of oregano and failed. But the taste is different than Greek, Italian or Mexican oregano, so your final result will not be quite the same.
My grandmother used to make both of those and she used to start off by saving old tortillas till they were hard and then charring them. Big smell and smoke. But that is the base of those seasonings.

If hubby knows anyone in Orange Walk--they make some amazing ones. Otherwise, there might be some online store that will ship them but some one else will have to help you with the address for that. My family always coming to states or going to Belize so I am never out of those spices. And sarry--it is gold to me so I can't send you any. Really sarry but I need Belize food ina mi guts and done get hubby hooked on it too. Guard it like diamonds.

Thank you for your replies there are good to know. I do guard them like gold when I do get them, but I don't get them very often. Right now I have enough to make one more soup but the am out of luck. I will have to ask him if he know someone good enough from orange walk to send some. He is originally from Corazal. I will keep trying though. I am even willing to deal with the smell and the smoke if I can make it myself. Anything is worth it to me.

Ok, I have lil time....Relleno negro and chimole are somewhat the same....

Relleno negro is made with a very large chicken or a turkey that is stuffed with ground pork cooked with some of the recardo and hard boiled eggs. you boil the eggs hard, take out the yellow, chop up the whites and add it to pork that is cooking. After the pork is done you let it cool a bit and add a about three raw eggs to help hold it together. then you start stuffing the chicken with the pork and ever so often stick in a whole egg yellow.

Now you will strain the black recardo and this is how i remember it being made....burned tortilla, burned ancho peppers, whole spice seeds, cumin, garlic, onion, oregano, cloves. I think that is all it had in it.

After that entire recardo is strained several times through a doubled cheese cloth into a large pot....lower the turkey or large cooking hen all stuffed into this soup and cook slowly for about 3 hours. One hour before it's done, cut up three large tomatoes and put in the pot....When di dinna done, the pork stuffing is removed whole from the bird and sliced and you will see the egg yellow slice in the middle or all over the slices depending where you put them....

Chimole is just the chicken cooked in the recardo.

Picadillo is just the pork cooked in the recardo.

All combined make the relleno

Chirmole really easy to make. Take a whole chicken cut it up in pieces clean and wash properly. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, season salt and consomme powder and like 2 tablespoons of the black recado or as you need to your taste. Put chicken in pot and simmer with a cut up onion, two small tomatoes, two heads garlic. simmer like 15 minutes. Mean while chicken is simmering cut potatoes, cho-cho, young pumpkin Pour like 4 cups water or more if you see it necessary to pot with cut up veggy, and can also add 2 habanero peppers, that is if u like spicy. Let soup boil for about 1/2 hour taste to see if it may need more salt. You can boil ripe plantains and eggs separately. Serve the chilmole with the plaintains and eggs and hot corn tortillas. Hope u enjoy.

Relleno Negro

Type "recado negro" in the search box and search. Alist of various links should appear. Find and click on the link "RECIPE: Recado Negro/Chimole::Los Dos". The recipe with all the spices is given there.
Enjoy.

Failing that I have the recipe and the recado negro which I buy in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. I get some in a couple months for you and post it to you, if you wish. My email address is [email protected].
I am Belizean by the way. Born in Belize City 68 years ago.

All the best.

Dry spice mix help Need recipe

I saw this thread come up and thought, she must be making that recipe again

I opened my JOC the other day to the same worn out spot to make drop biscuits.

Saw this recipe in Pinterest, in case you still need it:

Ingredients for Black Recado Seasoning
Produce
10 Ancho peppers makes 2 cups
5 Garlic cloves
1 tsp Oregano

Baking & Spices
2 Allspice, whole
2 Cloves
1/2 tbsp Pepper
1 pinch Salt

Oils & Vinegars