Can I Live in Belize and Not Eat Beans???

Jimc58

Interestin Smella Cruffy
As some of you know, I will be moving to Belize as soon as I can (which is probably still years away). When I visited Belize last year I had lunch with a nice lady I met there and it came out in conversation that I don't eat beans. What can I say? I'm a picky eater. She told me that if that is the case Belize was the wrong place to live. So, my question is, can I live in Belize and not eat beans?

I did notice when I was there that there was a lot of fruit available. I remember eating some of that back in the '80s or '90s. I'm not opposed to fruit, it's just not part of my normal diet. But, I think I could work that into my diet, so what else can I survive on?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my ignorance in this area. I still have lots to learn about the place I wish to live...

Hahahahaha.....Of course you can live in Belize and not eat beans. I know many people who do not eat beans....and, they are still alive and kicking it in Belize. :D.

I think, more people in Belize consider rice more important than beans. We also have ground food aka ital food...hehehehe....Have you ever tasted "boil up" or "fish sere/hudut" or the Conch Soup, white rice with stewed chicken and ripe plantain, chinese chow mein or fry chicken or simple panades?

Hey Jim.......don't worry about it, you will survive. :D :D

when im home i eat beans once a week... there is so much different things to eat other than beans... just like in any other places

Thanks DB. I'm not really worried about it too much. I am a picky eater as I mentioned, but I'll also try just about anything once and as long as my taste buds are happy I don't really care what it is that goes in my stomach. After all, my favorite food is snails... :)

Most of the specific dishes you mentioned I have no idea what they are so any clarifications would be appreciated. OTOH, I have found it better at times not to know what it is I'm eating. :D

As for chicken, of any kind, that is another thing I try not to eat; birds, in general. My last name is Crane so eating birds is a bit too close to canabalizm for my liking... :rofl

:scared what??!!! you don't like beans??!!! I love beans.......it's so gooood and healthy. I can eat beans every day.so what do you eat J? when you're hungry you'll eat anything, and you don't eat chicken???!! chicken is belize's royal meat. well no worries J, there is always plenty of grass in belize, you'll never go hungry.:D

:scared what??!!! you don't like beans??!!! I love beans.......it's so gooood and healthy. I can eat beans every day.so what do you eat J? when you're hungry you'll eat anything, and you don't eat chicken???!! chicken is belize's royal meat. well no worries J, there is always plenty of grass in belize, you'll never go hungry.:D
yu wrong bez!.....gibnut is di royal meat:D

:exactly you right, and it's soooooooo yummy. i had it dis past summer when I was there, but chicken popular dah belize.

Since you asked, my diet is as follows:

Breakfast is a bowl of Life cereal, with milk and sugar. Has been for over 35 years, essentially each and every day.

Lunch is fast food... :(

For dinner I indulge myself. Hey, someone has to! (And no, not in that way...) Here is where some variety comes in. I might have some popcorn. Maybe some garlic bread. I cook a very good spaghetti sauce. I use to make a wicked, wicked breakfast burrito with good hot green chili o'plenty; until I found out I have high cholesterol and my doc said to cut that out or die! Ramen soup is a staple. A Honey Bun is always good. Crackers and cheese. A can of peas from time to time. Mac and cheese. And probably a few other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment, maybe due to a diminishing of brain power caused by bad nutrition... :D And it really isn't as bad as it may at first seem when you realize that I only eat one or another of these things per night. That is dinner.

And yes, when you are hungry you will eat anything. When I was in Belize I was staying at a friend's place (by myself) that is way out from almost anything. South of San Ignacio and very close to the border. He has a number of fruit trees, pinapples, coconuts and the likes on his land so I figured I would live off those things while I was there. It never occured to me that they would not be ripe... :D After a few days I was pretty hungry! There was this very kind gentleman I met there that lived across the road and down a ways and he brought me some beans and bread one day for lunch, that his wife had made. I ate the beans! They actually were good but they still were beans. There is just something about the texture that bothers me.

Ok, your turn. What is gibnut???

Jim - The Agouti Paca AKA Gibnut is a prized game meat here in Belize. It tops the list along with deer meat and piccari (wild pig) meat. It belongs to the Rodent Family and caused a big uproar in the English Press when it was served to Queen Elizabeth on her trip to Belize. It soon became known as "The Royal Rat". :D :D To be honest, as a child I eat it, but soon decided it wasn't my thing. Although, I must say, IMO, its taste resembles pork meat.

As to your diet, you sure as hell need to find yourself a BElizean WOman to trigger your taste bud and get your body nourished on some good old Belizean food and cooking. :D :D

Ahhh... I know what a Paca is! Never thought about eating them but I certainly would not hesitate to try it. My guess would have been that they would taste something like pork, which I do like but don't eat much, mainly because I don't eat much meat (or fruit or vegetables).

Getting back to my diet, I actually like lots of other things than what I mentioned, I just don't eat them too often. I can actually cooked, pretty well, but it is really hard for me to motivate myself to cook just for myself. When I do cook something I cook quite a bit of it, so that is what I will eat for the next week or so until it is all gone. As for finding myself a Belizean woman to help me eat better, I certainly would not be opposed to that, and would actually welcome it. There are some things about living alone that I can do without. I figure all things in time... :D

Ahhh... I know what a Paca is! Never thought about eating them but I certainly would not hesitate to try it. My guess would have been that they would taste something like pork, which I do like but don't eat much, mainly because I don't eat much meat (or fruit or vegetables).

Getting back to my diet, I actually like lots of other things than what I mentioned, I just don't eat them too often. I can actually cooked, pretty well, but it is really hard for me to motivate myself to cook just for myself. When I do cook something I cook quite a bit of it, so that is what I will eat for the next week or so until it is all gone. As for finding myself a Belizean woman to help me eat better, I certainly would not be opposed to that, and would actually welcome it. There are some things about living alone that I can do without. I figure all things in time... :D
:thinking

:thinking

Thinking of a suitable lady for me? That is very kind of you and I appreciate it if that is the case. But, I should probably mention that I am at the beginning of a new relationship with a very nice lady so that couldn't be a possibility for me at the moment. I personally can only work on one relationship at a time, and like it that way. I am hoping things will work out and that when I am ready to move to Belize she will be joining me, but if that doesn't work out I'm ALWAYS open to meeting new people, and female people are the best kind to meet. :D

Thinking of a suitable lady for me? That is very kind of you and I appreciate it if that is the case. But, I should probably mention that I am at the beginning of a new relationship with a very nice lady so that couldn't be a possibility for me at the moment. I personally can only work on one relationship at a time, and like it that way. I am hoping things will work out and that when I am ready to move to Belize she will be joining me, but if that doesn't work out I'm ALWAYS open to meeting new people, and female people are the best kind to meet. :D
juggling two ooman is the best life:D...ask belizean!

I'm very tempted to, but I think there may be a problem. Ok, maybe two problems... The one I was thinking about is that I have no idea where Gumagargu is. My guess is that it would be a killer of a commute from where I'm at! :D

Take the on-line course, it's much more economical. You may even save thousands in tuition costs.

Can I Live in Belize and Not Eat Beans

OH and I wont eat it more than twice a week; close family, extended family, friends and neighbours have seen quite enough of it already and the season is yet young.

Ive never tried, but wonder if it would survive being frozen or would it go into a mushy mess?

Back