Belize in Pics: Shipyard, OW

M

mercury

To start off the 'new series' of Belize in Pics, let's look at a quaint Mennonite village on the banks of the New River in the heart of the Orange Walk District.

NorthernOW.jpg

Where's the ships?

I saw the one lady cover her face when you took the picture. I don't know the mennows but I do know the Amish of Pennsylvania get really pissed off when you take thier picture. They don't like it at all.

But where the hell are the ships, mate?

Cool pics Mercury. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing these pictures jogged a question I have - do they intermarry? I mean, I don't hear of a new shipment of Mennonites relocating to Belize, and they don't mingle outside of their religion/culture so how could they marry someone who isn't related?

Cool pics Mercury. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing these pictures jogged a question I have - do they intermarry? I mean, I don't hear of a new shipment of Mennonites relocating to Belize, and they don't mingle outside of their religion/culture so how could they marry someone who isn't related?

I have a friend who is courting a gal from the mennows and he's from outside the sect. He says they seem very open to him but they want him to join their religion.

And he don't get to take it for a test ride before buying.

The younger generation seems more, uh, open-minded. It all depends on where you go, I guess. Some groups of Mennonites in Belize are more traditional than others. I'm not an expert, but I would care to suggest that it's probably the same as with San Pedro before traveling to/from the mainland was easy... you'd eventually wind up with a pair of cousins, one way or the other, marrying each other down the line.

I saw the one lady cover her face when you took the picture. I don't know the mennows but I do know the Amish of Pennsylvania get really pissed off when you take thier picture. They don't like it at all.

I didn't take the photos of the Mennonite people. I generally shy away from taking photos of individuals - you never know how they'd react.

Dr Buzzard said:
But where the hell are the ships, mate?

Alas, it wasn't ship season. It's in June, I hear. :D

I went to school with a black mennonite in Belize, some of her family lives in Pennsylvania.

Back