Begging for a meat pie recipe

M

michellercroft

:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help Hello everyone..... Does anyone have a recipe for meat pies??? I am dying for some.... Thanks:love help

Hi michellercroft:

The problem with meatpies is that everyone has their own family recipe and every little ingredient changes the taste. So no one generally wants to give theirs out because they don't want to set standards.

I've been cooking for so long that I don't measure anything. Sorry I can't give you exact proportions.

First, start with a good crust. I follow the Alton Brown method on the Food Chanel. I use an old fashioned pastry cutter but the food processor will do fine. I use half shortening and half butter. Once you've got the crust made put it in the fridge for later.

You need really good ground beef. I grind sirloin myself (I put garlic and onions in the grinder to save time). If not, then throw diced onions (cut tiny) in a hot pot and brown that. Throw in some diced garlic and cook till the garlic gets soft. Then throw in your ground meat with black pepper, thyme, oregano and salt. Put in green pepper if you want. Fry that down and then add water to stew it a bit so the meat becomes tender. Check how tender your meat is and add water as needed. You can also put in a few drops of Worcester sauce. If you want the red kind of meat pie, you would add some red recardo at this point. I do. Taste great to me. Make sure your stewed ground meat always has some water in the pot at this stage. Once it is tender, taste and adjust the seasonings. Then you thickening that by adding a bit of flour mixed with water.
The end consistency shouldn't be too thick or you will have a dry meat pie. It can't be runny either or it will not have the good meat taste and it will run through your dough and make a mess. Remember some of the moisture in the meat will bake out of the pies in the oven. This is definitely the challenge of making meat pies and you finally get the hang of it after a few tries.

Next you assembly the pie. It is best to put them in little tart pans and make them individually. Mosquitorose makes one big pie and slices it. I'm getting old enough to want to follow her. You can also shape them like turnovers to bake. Make sure you remember to prick the very top of the crust with the tines of a fork to make escape holes or your pies will burst. Don't overwork the dough same as with any pie.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Forgot to add you put in habanero smashed or diced or the pepper sauce in the meat while it is cooking - to taste.

Thanks SB - this is easy enough for me to make. But...I'll buy ready made dough - with the same results. :lol

I don't have tart pans so I'll probably have to make them like turnovers or jamaican meat patties where i close the ends with a fork like how crust is done.

mek a know how it comes out
nothing wrang with ready crust
just wet your fingers when you working with it and have some flour on the side to sprinkle on it if it start to stick

Speaking of meatpies...have any of you tried Porto's meatpies?
They're not bad, but I prefer mi belizean meatpies.

Just for you EM. I cook a lot. One pk of spit and one lentil.....add water and let cook while you prepare.....salt, black pepper, dried onion, dried grarlic, dried sweet pepper, the mix of italian seasoning. ( I have been using dried hebs a lot lately as they are much stronger and go a long way, I order these by the pound from the San Francisco Herb co.)
Check your peas to see if they are a little soft, then pour that mix into it.....you may use the fresh onion and sweet pepper and any of the ones you have above. Let cook until thick. I don't add any meat and it is delish.

I usually freeze some for another time. I always can pull something out of the freezer and heat up in a pinch. I alway make exta to freeze.

I will put this in the recipe thread now.

This how I make my meat pies.

3 cups of flour, 1/2 teas baking powder, salt, make a well in the center and add 1/4 cup of olive (any oil that you use) and 1 c of milk (or water) take a large spoon and stir it around until you have to use your hand to finish, add more flour if needed...what you are aiming for is a very soft dough, so watch the flour, (my pies are like biscuits). Set it to the side covered with a towel for at least 30 minutes.....it will be an hour if you go cook the meat now.

I also grind london broil or sirloin or bottom round......while it is grinding I add red and green sweet pepper and large onion and a plug of garlic...after it's finished grinding, I add some lea and perring, italian seasoning , salt, blk pepper, dried onion and dried tomatoes and garlic (not a lot). I brown the meat it some olive oil and then delute some red recardo in 1 cup of water and add, you may have to add more water for a total of two cups...you want nice thick gravy. Cook slowely for 1 hour.

I then make a whole pie or the little ones that I have posted in the fluted pans.....these pies are juicy and the crust is like a fluffy biscuit....

I sure miss meat pie. Have anyone have meat pie with anything other than beef....I dont eat red meat. Miss MR how you do its been while. Look mi up a come back.

Thanks for this nice recipe of yours, I also crave for this menu...glad to find one here...

Back